[WSBAPT] Chase Requiring Letter re: Out of State Bank Account

Sarah McCarthy sarah at kawlawyers.com
Wed Jan 24 15:48:48 PST 2024

I have heard about this issue coming up in recent years. My advice to
out-of-state clients is to open the estate's checking account while they
are here visiting WA to handle estate busines, in a WA branch of a
multi-state bank.  Once the account is opened in WA, they can manage the
account remotely.

Seems to me that writing the letter they are requesting would require me to
express a legal opinion about what the laws of that other state require,
for the opening of an estate account in that other state - and since I am
not licensed to practice in that other state, I don't like that idea.

*Sarah O’Farrell McCarthy*

*(Pronouns: she / her)*Attorney, Partner | Kelly, Arndt & Walker, Attorneys
at Law, PLLP
P.O. Box 290 | 6443 Harding Avenue | Clinton, WA  98236

(Located on Whidbey Island, Island County, Washington)
Phone: (360) 341-1515 | Fax: (360) 341-3272
sarah at kawlawyers.com | www.kawlawyers.com

*IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR DELIVERIES TO THIS OFFICE: *

*For delivery by USPS, please send to PO Box 290, Clinton, WA 98236.*

*For delivery by UPS or FedEX, please send to 6443 Harding Ave, Clinton WA
98236.*

This electronic message transmission contains information from the law firm
of Kelly, Arndt & Walker, PLLP which may be confidential or privileged.
This information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity
named above,  If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any
further review, disclosure, printing, copying, distribution, or use of the
contents of this transmission is prohibited. If you have received this
electronic message transmission in error, please notify us immediately by
reply e-mail and delete the original message.  Thank you.

We do not accept service of any kind by e-mail unless expressly authorized
in writing by the attorney of record.  This e-mail is NOT a contract and is
not binding upon the author pursuant to CR 2A. This e-mail is, at most, a
negotiation under ER 408.