[WSBAPT] Canadian serving as PR?

Bruce Moen brm at moenlaw.com
Wed Nov 15 10:42:07 PST 2023

My experience is that the court may appoint them, but that the US Bonding companies will not bond them. (I think an issue of getting jurisdiction over them if an impaired bond.)

OK if they can post a cash bond.  If a substantial estate, be prepared for a substantial bond.

I've also had foreign PRs/ Trustees  move substantial funds out of the jurisdiction of the US which alarmed me because of the potential liability to my office (under Trask v Butler) if the funds disappeared.

Be careful.  Might be a good idea to avoid NPs and to lock up the local liquid assets so that the assets remain local.

  Bruce Moen