[WSBAPT] Canadian serving as PR?

Kendel Froese kendel at thrivelawpllc.com
Wed Nov 15 10:12:13 PST 2023

Good morning all:

I am drafting a Will for a client who wants to designate a Canadian citizen
as their personal representative. As I'm sure we all do, I often draft
Wills that designate a non-Washington resident as PR, and just tell the
client that when the time comes, an in-state/county agent will need to be
appointed for service of process, etc. My guess is that RCW 11.36.010(6)
also applies to a Canadian who would be considered a "nonresident" - but
does anyone have experience with this and can answer for sure whether a
non-US citizen can serve as PR?

RCW 11.36.010(6): *A nonresident may be appointed to act as personal
representative if the nonresident appoints an agent who is a resident of
the county where such estate is being probated or who is an attorney of
record of the estate, upon whom service of all papers may be made; such
appointment to be made in writing and filed by the clerk with other papers
of such estate; and, unless bond has been waived as provided by
RCW 11.28.185 <http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.28.185>, such
nonresident personal representative must file a bond to be approved by the
court.*

Thank you in advance!

Warmly,
Kendel

--

Kendel Froese

Attorney, Froese Law PLLC <https://www.froeselawpllc.com>

203 N. Washington | Suite 200 | Spokane, WA | 99201

509.514.5317 (Call & Text)

Instantly schedule an appointment with me here
<https://calendly.com/froeselawpllc>!

*Please Note!*

The information contained in this email and any attachments are meant only
for the use of the intended recipient and may be confidential and/or
privileged. If you are reading this communication and are not the intended
recipient, any unauthorized use, disclosure or copying is strictly
prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you received this communication by
mistake, please immediately notify the sender by return email, and delete
the original message and all copies from your system. Thank you for your
cooperation!