[WSBAPT] Off-Topic Referral - Minor (16yrs) Emanication

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Tue Feb 28 16:19:23 PST 2023

  Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

February  28, 2023

Brent,

I do handle emancipations. However, I don’t really recommend a 16 year
old be emancipated as an emancipated child must financially support
him or herself. It is asking a lot for a child to go to school and
also work to put themselves through high school. Particularly in this
day and age when there are so many distractions. Even resourceful,
intact, two- parent families can struggle to keep their teenager on
the right track.

You indicate your friend and his wife are willing to provide a
placement. The far better option is for your friends to get licensed
by the state as fosterparents  (it isn't that lengthy of a process)
and have the bio parents remain legally/ financially responsible while
the child lives out of the home and finishes school in a safe place.

If a child is placed in fostercare- the parents pay child support
based on their earnings just as they do if they are divorced. The
fostercare placement gets a /VERY MODEST/ / miniscule fostercare
payment each month to help with the cost of providing for the child.
However, the state would provide the medical coverage, etc.

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000
Seattle, Washington 98101
206-224-8288
www.seattle-silvalaw.com[1]

Quoting Brent Williams-Ruth <brent at williams-ruthlaw.com>:

> Apologies for cross posting -
>
>    I have a neighbor/friend who is dealing with a tough situation.
> Niece who is 16 years old is in a situation that is triggering a
> referral to CPS by her counselor/therapist/psychologist and they
> would like to connect her with someone who can assist with
> emancipation paperwork.
>
>    My friend and his wife will be the safe place where she would
> move to and help out.
>
>    I know nothing about this system or advice to give as to
> emancipation vs guardian or some other avenue for a change....
>
>    All referrals, including self-referrals will be passed along.
>
>    Thank you,
>
>    Brent
>
>        BRENT WILLIAMS-RUTH (pronouns: he/him)
> /Attorney-At-Law/
>
>        LAW OFFICES OF BRENT WILLIAMS-RUTH, A DIVISION OF BWR CONSULTING, PLLC
>
>        PHYSICAL ADDRESS: 500 S 336TH STREET, SUITE 214; FEDERAL WAY, WA 98003
>
>        **EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY** ALL MAIL SENT THROUGH THE USPS
> SHOULD BE SENT TO THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS: PO BOX 3319; FEDERAL WAY,
> WA 98063
>
>        Office/Scheduling Phone: (253) 285-7751
>
>        Direct: (253) 285-7453
>

>        e-mail[2] / website[3] / facebook[4] /

Links:
------
[1] http://www.seattle-silvalaw.com/
[2] mailto:Brent at Williams-RuthLaw.com
[3] http://www.williams-ruthlaw.com/
[4] http://www.facebook.com/bwrlaw