[WSBAPT] Attorney as PR

Joshua McKarcher josh at mckarcherlaw.com
Thu Jul 7 11:56:17 PDT 2022

This is specifically addressed in RPC 1.8 comment 8, pasted below in italics (which is from the ABA Model Rules (https://www.americanbar.org/groups/professional_responsibility/publications/model_rules_of_professional_conduct/rule_1_8_current_clients_specific_rules/comment_on_rule_1_8/) and is in place in Idaho as well, for example).

I think many will be quite surprised to see that RPC 1.8 permits – upon informed consent – even SOLICITATION of such fiduciary positions. (Insane seeming perhaps, but there you are.)

I do not solicit or advertise for fiduciary assignments, and it certainly is not my primary practice. But living in what WSBA refers to as a “legal desert,” I felt it my obligation to consider this issue more closely a few years ago.

My malpractice carrier, ALPS, didn’t bat an eye even upon inquiry – go read your policy; it’s covered probably more than you’d guess.

My own view is that this is about geographically available fiduciary options (including their costs and clients’ willingness to use them), a lawyer’s temperament and skill set (“Do you like MATH and TAXES? A LOT? 😉 Are you patient and communicative? Are you nice? How about to those not as smart as you?”), exquisitely careful drafting (e.g., resign/appoint clauses, non-judicial successor appointment options, etc.), and a host of other factors that any thoughtful fiduciary must consider.

[RPC 1.8] does not prohibit a lawyer from seeking to have the lawyer or a partner or associate
of the lawyer named as executor of the client’s estate or to another potentially lucrative fiduciary
position. Nevertheless, such appointments will be subject to the general conflict of interest
provision in Rule 1.7 when there is a significant risk that the lawyer’s interest in obtaining the
appointment will materially limit the lawyer’s independent professional judgment in advising the
client concerning the choice of an executor or other fiduciary. In obtaining the client’s informed
consent to the conflict, the lawyer should advise the client concerning the nature and extent of the
lawyer’s financial interest in the appointment, as well as the availability of alternative candidates
for the position.