[WSBAPT] Attorney as PR

Bruce Moen brm at moenlaw.com
Wed Jul 6 11:30:57 PDT 2022

Its up to you.

The court often appoints lawyers to serve as Successor PRs, Successor Trustees, Successor Guardians, Receivers, Commissioner to Sign Deeds, etc. Totally OK.

The role of the appointed lawyer is different, of course,  and the issue of reasonable compensation may be different but the service of a lawyer as a fiduciary is OK.

Not good to write yourself into that role as the drafting attorney because of a published opinion that such is a “disfavored practice.”  (To be distinguished from drafting yourself into the plan as a legatee which will get the drafting attorney disbarred.)

  Bruce Moen