[WSBAPT] Dept of Revenue slow?

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Tue Aug 30 10:45:56 PDT 2022

Please don't rely on my recollection on this, but I think I remember researching this issue about 10-15 years ago, on the distinction between debts owed to the Feds and debts owed to the State. Medicaid is a federal program but I think it's basically federal funding that is supplied to each state and the state builds its own administrative apparatus to handle and pay benefits to state residents. As a condition of receiving the federal funding, the State must agree to make reasonable efforts to collect reimbursements.

I think there is a case out there-or maybe it's in the Medicaid collections handbook for state employees?-that says that DSHS is subject to the creditor claim deadline the same as any other creditor. It's a state entity handling money debts owed under state statutes, and as such it has neither the priority of debts owed to the federal government, nor does the states' sovereign immunity or its statutes provide DSHS with immunity from the creditor claim deadline.

That said, I also faintly recall that there is a difference between a Medicaid lien put on real property and a Medicaid debt owed by a decedent who didn't own real property. It's possible that the debt can be barred but the lien on real property can't?

Or I could really be mixing this up. I think there is a substantial amount of information on DSHS website under the "Estate Recovery" section. See for example:
https://www.dshs.wa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/documents/Estate%20Recovery%20Insert.pdf

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please direct mail and deliveries to the Seattle office.