[WSBAPT] King County JTWROS deed - recording death certificate and REETA

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Mon Aug 29 14:41:53 PDT 2022

There is an existing JTWROS deed for real property in King County, and one of the two owners has died, leaving the other as sole owner.

I haven't dealt with this in years. My read of WAC 458-61A-202<https://app.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=458-61A-202> is that we're supposed to (A) record the death certificate (redact SSN, right?) and (B) submit a REET Affidavit asserting the exemption. Is that right? But in that case:

  1.  How does the death certificate get indexed to the specific real property? Do I just put the legal description on a cover sheet attached to the death certificate? Or is it improper to record a bare death certificate, and I have to record it as exhibit to some kind of affidavit?
  2.  Who signs the REETA on behalf of the deceased Grantor?
  3.  Most importantly, no matter how illogical or inane, what is the best procedure to get this recorded without objection by the Auditor?

Many thanks--

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please direct mail and deliveries to the Seattle office.