[WSBAPT] Will Contest

Philip N. Jones pjones at duffykekel.com
Tue Aug 30 09:06:15 PDT 2022

Sounds as if the notary ignored the notary statutes.  Not a good idea.
Witnesses need not know the contents of the document, but they do need to know the identity of the signer and have an idea of competency.
I had a will contest once where the witnesses made no effort to know the identity of the testator nor anything about her competency.  The judge was justifiably unhappy with the witnesses.  Those facts contributed to the downfall of the will.
Phil Jones

Philip N. Jones
Duffy Kekel LLP
Portland, OR