[WSBAPT] CHAIN OF TITLE QUESTION AND POSSIBLE REFERRAL

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Mon Nov 15 18:36:43 PST 2021

Hi Laura,

I think you are actually right on track.  The Lender’s deed transfers nothing if not signed in their capacity as trustee’s (and this would be the case if the were singing as H&W).  The Lender may be trying to avoid an opinion on the refi involving a trust but who knows, maybe simply overlooked the deed into trust.

With the above in mind, I would also be concerned that the lender has all the paperwork in the parties individual names which would include them making some sort of representations that they have power to sign the documents and this would concern me as their counsel; enough to visit with them on the subject.  I don’t know maybe it’s just been a long day and I’m feeling overly jaded (😉).  I’ll be curious to see what other’s say but in this instance, if it really has to be in their names for the refi, it should be transferred out of trust first – and if this is required, I would want to be sure the bank doesn’t have a prohibition against transferring the real property back into the trust with the mortgage.  They shouldn’t.

I just completed a letter for a refi to let the lender know the Living Trust could qualify for financing (in addition to a natural person) because the living trust met various criteria.

Best to you.

Diane J. Kiepe

Diane J. Kiepe
Douglas Eden