[WSBAPT] Testamentary Trust Question

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Wed Jun 23 16:54:16 PDT 2021

Tom,

A few quick thoughts.

Your client cannot put more into a testamentary trust for his son if the combined community estate is less then 4.0 Million – with that in mind, I would draft a formula testamentary trust as you indicated wife (and maybe sons with sprinkle powers) lifetime bene, Principal distribution for HEMS maybe, and the spouse not serving as Trustee (and maybe not the sons if sprinkle powers are added).

The next step in this process then is to understand that if it is a true Washington Bypass, there will not be a second step-up in basis on surviving spouse’s death – no big deal – taxes aren’t always the end game.  But there are ways you can draft the testamentary trust for a second step up in basis, if, upon the first death (his death) certain elections are made.  It would prevent his sons from being able to reach the assets prior to wife’s death however (that is they could not be lifetime beneficiaries of the trust).

If you want to talk shop more, let me know – happy to share my thoughts/experiences.

Diane J. Kiepe

Diane J. Kiepe
Douglas Eden
717 W. Sprague Ave.