[WSBAPT] Testamentary Trust Question

Tom Garvey tgarvey at haniganlaw.net
Wed Jun 23 09:01:46 PDT 2021

Greetings,

I admit this is probably an easy question, but after a few days of thinking it over I have yet to have an "aha" moment about the solution.

I have a client who does not want his spouse to spend all of their comm. prop. money on the event he dies first. He wants to leave at least two million for his sons, and whatever is in excess of that the wife can use for her general welfare and care.

The structure is just not screaming at me. Testamentary Trust with Wife as the beneficiary and Sons as remainders? 2 trusts?

They are under 4 million total for estate tax purposes.

Thank you in advance if I am missing something basic.

Tom Garvey | Attorney
Hanigan Law Office, PS
68 Main St. / PO Box 39
Cathlamet, WA 98612
(360) 795-3494
(360) 795-3001 - fax

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:THIS EMAIL IS INTENDED TO BE A CONFIDENTIAL AND PRIVILEGED ATTORNEY-CLIENT COMMUNICATION.IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT OF THIS EMAIL, PLEASE DO NOT READ OR PRINT IT.This transmission is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.You are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or duplication of this transmission by someone other than the intended addressee or its designated agent is strictly prohibited.If your receipt of this transmission is in error, please notify the sender immediately by calling 360.795.3494, or by reply to this transmission, and then permanently delete the message.

DISCLAIMER NOTICE:Email communication on the internet is NOT secure.There is a risk that this communication may be intercepted illegally, waiving any implied or explicit attorney-client or work-product privileges.