[WSBAPT] Off Topic: Accepting Credit Card Payments

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Fri Jun 18 13:49:22 PDT 2021

  Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

                                                  June   18, 2021

Elizabeth,

I also use LawPay (affini).  It is really easy to use.
You have one account but like a bank, Trust and Business are separate,
which is required by RPC’s.

You pay a flat $5.00 a month charge for Trust plus for Business, so
$10.00 a month. Additionally you pay  about 3% on every transaction
processed.
Once a year, you pay an additional small flat amount. I can't remember
how much or the reason they give ....

There is no prohibition on passing credit card fees on to your
client.  LawPay’s promotional material makes that really clear, hoping
to persuade lawyers that it costs nothing to use their service. While
it’s good to know, and many lawyer DO pass that charge on, I don’t.

I think of how it bugs me to pay credit card fees at ski resorts etc.
for the privilege of using my credit card on what I already think is
an astronomically expense but extremely ordinary bowl of soup ... . I
assume it would bother my clients to see another  3% (or any amount)
added to their fee on top of what they probably already think is
pretty high.

TRANSACTION TIME TO COMPLETION

Many years ago, I had a client put a stop payment on their check which
was deposited to trust.  I didn’t realize it until I had provided
significant services.  You really don’t want that client.  It is
possible for a client to dispute a credit card charge and request a
chargeback. I let client’s know that I do not start representation
until a deposit to TRUST has cleared and is actually in my account
(not just pending).  This usually takes 2 business days but on
occasion, depending on the time of the day when the transaction
occurred, it can take 3 days.

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000
Seattle, Washington 98101
206-224-8288
www.seattle-silvalaw.com

Quoting Heather de Vrieze <heatherd at westseattlelaw.com>:

> Not sure about passing the processing cost on to clients, but we
> accept credit cards and find LawPay to be the best platform around.
> They aren’t the cheapest, but I have found their customer service to
> be amazing, their ability to receive payments into our operating
> account or IOLTA (taking all fees out of the operating account),
> without needing two separate customer accounts.
>

>    Heather
>

>     Heather S. de Vrieze
> /Attorney-at-Law/
>

>     //
>

>     3909 California Avenue SW
>

>     Seattle, WA 98116-3705
>

>     (206)938-5500
>

>     heatherd at westseattlelaw.com
>

>     www.westseattlelaw.com[1]
>

>     CLICK HERE TO CONNECT WITH DE VRIEZE | CARNEY ON FACEBOOK:   [2]
>

>     For the latest information regarding firm operations and
> precautions in light of the Coronavirus please visit our firm’s
> website: www.WestSeattleLaw.com[1].

>     CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain
> legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have
> received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately
> and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.
>

>      FROM: wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com
> <wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com> ON BEHALF OF Elizabeth Bateman
> SENT: Friday, June 18, 2021 12:30 PM
> TO: WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv <wsbapt at lists.wsbarppt.com>
> SUBJECT: [WSBAPT] Off Topic: Accepting Credit Card Payments
>

>    Those of you with small firms, do you accept payment by credit
> card?  Are you willing to share your process?  Is there a platform
> you recommend?  Has anyone done the research into whether it’s
> legal/ethical to pass a processing fee on to the client who chooses
> to pay with a card?
>

>    Thanks for your insight!
>

>    Elizabeth G. Bateman
>

>    Associate Attorney
>

>    /Admitted in Washington and Minnesota /
>

>    Bateman Law Group, PLLC
>

>    999 Third Ave., Suite 2525
>

>    Seattle, WA 98104
>

>    Office: (206) 224-0900
>

>    Cell: (425) 444-9946
>

>    Website:  www.batemanlawgroup.com[3]

>    This email is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy
> Act, 18 USC Sections 2510-2521 and is legally privileged. This
> information is confidential and is intended only for the use of the
> individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is
> not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
> dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is
> strictly prohibited. If you think that you have received this email
> message in error, please notify the sender via email or by telephone
> at (206) 224-0900.

Links:
------
[1] http://www.westseattlelaw.com/