[WSBAPT] LOPA

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Fri Jun 18 16:08:57 PDT 2021

Hello Colleagues,

I have a surviving spouse who insists that he doesn't need to do a probate (and has heard of the Lack of Probate affidavit).  I have always said a probate is required to transfer title to the survivor's name.  I realize that the LOPA is used by some in counties I don't regularly practice and I certainly don't mind following the process but my understanding is that it may result in problems upon a later sale and our refinance - also I have read that title insurance may be more costly down the road.  When I have explained that in the past it is always excepted but in this case I may have to share some real life stories.  It would be great if any of you would share with me your experiences (good and bad alike).

Thanks in advance -

Diane J. Kiepe

Diane J. Kiepe
Douglas Eden