[WSBAPT] Off Topic: Accepting Credit Card Payments

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Fri Jun 18 14:17:54 PDT 2021

  Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

                                                  June   18, 2021

Stacey, that was a good reference to advisory opinion #2214.  I just
looked it up.

It says there is no prohibition pursuant to RPC’s on passing on
surcharges/ fees, but that most credit card companies prohibit it!
So, you might violate your credit card agreement.

I googled this as I know that LawPay’s sends out stuff saying “okay to
pass this charge to clients”.

As it turns out, opinion 2214 was written in 2012.  In 2013, there was
a class action suit on this issue and now, in all but about 5 states,
you can pass on these charges so long as you notify your credit card
company you will do so.

I still think of it as the cost of doing business and that it would be
an irritant to a client.

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000