[WSBAPT] Vehicle Licensing

Kerry Brink Kbrink at vjglaw.com
Mon Sep 14 19:59:29 PDT 2020

Good evening,

So, I have an odd situation. I represent the dad as pr of the estate state  of his son, a lovely young man who died recently. The son had purchased a vehicle eight to twelve months ago, but hadn’t gotten around to titling it in his own name.  The dad found the title over the weekend and it is signed by the prior owner, but the deceased sons name is not written as the purchaser. There is no bill of sale. The Dad/PR wants to sell the vehicle.

I really don’t know the best course. Do we try to find the seller and the purchase price, ask seller to sign a bill of sale and then pay the sales tax, get title in the name of the estate and then the PR can sell the vehicle?  Is there a legitimate way that is more streamlined to deal with this?

The dad called me this evening and I really had no idea the best way to go forward. If any of you can help, I would so appreciate your insight. Thank you in advance.

Best to you all,
Kerry

Sent from my iPhone