[WSBAPT] Asset Protection Trust (Medical Bills)

John Creahan john at cairn-law.com
Mon Sep 14 19:09:53 PDT 2020

Hi Brent,
I am sorry to hear about your friend.
I am not aware of any way that a person can set up and fund a trust to protect those assets from current creditors. To the best of my knowledge, those states that allow a debtor to “protect” assets in an “asset protection trust” only do so if the trust was funded when the grantor was not aware of a need for such a trust. In other words, a debtor cannot fund an asset protection trust in order to protect those assets from a known creditor or creditors. In fact, doing so might be illegal – and an attorney who assists a client in committing a crime can wind up in very serious trouble.
For what its worth, even if the client pre-funded an out of state asset protection trust, a Washington court would probably pierce the trust and allow a creditor to reach the assets.
I would strongly encourage your potential client to speak with a good bankruptcy attorney to see what protections might be available.
Hope this helps,
John

John Creahan
www.cairn-law.com<http://www.cairn-law.com/>