[WSBAPT] Notary Endorsement for Electronic Services

msafren at jennylinglaw.com msafren at jennylinglaw.com
Fri Mar 27 14:56:06 PDT 2020

Hello Nestor and Listservs:

I saw your post on the RPPT Probate & Trust Listserv.  Quick question have you or anyone else used Notarize or Notary Cam for any signing for anyone who is located in Washington state?

I’m concerned that they are not using notaries who are licensed in Washington state to notarize documents that were signed by individuals who reside and were physically present in Washington at the time of their signature.

My  first concern is that we cannot rely upon the reciprocity of a notary outside the state of Washington enumerated in RCW 42.45.090 when the person is physically present and residing in the state of Washington.  The key to reciprocity requires  “A notarial act performed in another state “  If the signing occurs in Washington, but the notary is situated in Texas, Florida, or Virginia, the question is where was the notarial act performed?  A notarial act is defined as “an act, whether performed with respect to a tangible or electronic record, that a notarial officer may perform under the law of this state.”  This definition does not offer any clarity because the notarial act is composed of several actions including the witnessing and confirmation of signatory’s identity as well as affixing and signing the acknowledgment.   While the affixing and signing the acknowledge may take place in another state, did the witnessing and identity confirmation take place in another state or did those take place in Washington.  I’m unclear on this point.

Further, if the notary is not a licensed notary in the state of Washington, then it appears that the notary cannot perform a notarial act in Washington because they are not a notarial officer. A notarial officer is “a notary public or other individual authorized to perform a notarial act.  RCW 45.42.010(8)  By definition a “notary public" means an individual commissioned to perform a notarial act by the director.  RCW 45.42.010(9) Thus,  if the notary is not licensed by the DoL in Washington, it does not appear that they can validly perform a notarization or notarial act here in Washington.

If you or anyone has any guidance on these points, I would be grateful for your insights or experience.

Warmest regards,

Michael S. Safren, Esq.
Attorney at Law

14900 Interurban Ave. S., Ste. 280 | Seattle, WA 98168
11900 NE 1st St., Bldg. G - Ste. 300 |  Bellevue, WA 98005
P: (206) 859-5098 | E: msafren at jennylinglaw.com <mailto:msafren at jennylinglaw.com>
www.jennylinglaw.com <http://www.jennylinglaw.com>  | facebook.com/jennylinglaw/ <http://www.facebook.com/jennylinglaw/>

This communication, including attachments, may contain information that is confidential and protected by the attorney/client or other privileges. It constitutes non-public information intended to be conveyed only to the designated recipient(s). If the reader or recipient of this communication is not the intended recipient, an employee or agent of the intended recipient who is responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, or you believe that you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and promptly delete this e-mail, including attachments without reading or saving them in any manner. The unauthorized use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this e-mail, including attachments, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Receipt by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is not a waiver of any attorney/client or other privilege.