[WSBAPT] Is my situation appropriate for guardianship action?

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Wed Aug 26 19:13:50 PDT 2020

  Listserve,

An adult was hospitalized for brain cancer surgery (2nd round in 5
years). Doctor told out-of-country parents son may have little time
left. Family flew in 2 weeks ago. Girlfriend started denying access,
said she had POA to make decisions and that patient didn’t want to see
family. Mom says she and son have communicated daily for last 13 years
since he left homeland for King County. About 5 days ago, GF married
patient at hospital. No family access for last 3 days.  I was retained
today to try to assist in securing access. My intent was to negotiate
a resolution w/ GF.  Today, when I went to hospital with family,
patient had already been discharged. Hospital will provide no
information. Based on client’s past communications with adult son,
it’s believed he could be in hospice somewhere. Unlikely he was taken
home.  I attempted to contact GF/new wife by phone. After I introduced
myself, she said she didn’t want to have this conversation and hung
up. GF has blocked all family members on her phone, blocked patient’s
network of friends, and has taken down her facebook and patient’s
facebook.  Parents fear girlfriend hopes son has short life left, and
fear he will die and they will not see him.

I have called Adult Protective Services and left voice message. No
high hopes they will answer in a timely fashion.

Would this situation be appropriate for a Guardianship petition?
Patient is not able to communicate well at all. I watched about a 10
minute  video of when GF got him to sign app for  marriage license in
hospital.
It wasn't clear to me if it was a vountary act - there was alot of
pleading, assisting with the hand, etc.

If anyone has handled a similar situation, I’d love to speak to you.

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000
Seattle, Washington 98101