[WSBAPT] Deceased Beneficiary with Living Trust

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Fri Nov 22 11:52:38 PST 2019

I think there are options, depending on how cooperative everyone is. The goal is for your PR to get either court direction or agreement among all bene's heirs, on who should get bene's distribution from your PR's estate.

1. Your PR or the bene's heirs can do an adjudication of testacy per RCW 11.20.020(1)<https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.20.020>, RCW 11.28.330<https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.28.330> and RCW 11.28.340<https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.28.340>. That would avoid the need for a PR. The adjudication would confirm that the pour-over Will is valid and all distribution should be made to the successor Trustee of the RLT per the terms of the Will. There is a four-month wait built into the procedure so it will cause delay, though.

2. The bene's heirs could unanimously sign a TEDRA agreement that the Will is valid, that your PR should distribute to the successor Trustee of the RLT, and they waive all claims against PR for improper distribution. This is riskier of course since it's not court-ordered, but I'm sure you know the circumstances and can evaluate if there is any likelihood of the pour-over Will being invalid, or something shady happening with the Trustee, or anything like that.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC