[WSBAPT] Legislative Action - Digital Assets Act

Brent Williams-Ruth brent at bwrconsults.com
Tue Jan 15 12:02:15 PST 2019

Good Afternoon List -

This past year, I had an interesting situation involving attempt to gain
access using the Uniform Access to Digital Assets Act. Long story short,
the tech company that controlled the assets violated the law, didn't care,
and when I sought assistance through my State Representative, they brushed
her off.

The result - proposed legislation (HB 1150) that was filed at the start of
the legislative session and that will be first heard by the Civil Rights &
Judiciary Committee.

In short, the proposed legislation DOES NOT change any of the substance of
the act.  Those requesting access still have to jump through all the
various hoops. This simply provides teeth, that a Court SHALL award
monetary fines to the client AND an award of the attorneys fees/costs in
forcing any holder of assets to comply with the law.

The legislation as written, has two steps a first penalty for missing the
statutorily mandated deadline (60 days) and then a great penalty after 90
days.

If you support such a proposed amendment to this law, please contact your
state reps and urge support for HB 1150.

In my case, my had to wait 8 months to get satisfaction and access - and
that was only after my Rep called the companies Government Affairs Liaison.

Our clients shouldn't have to do more than what the law requires.

Thank you,

Brent Williams-Ruth

--

*Brent Williams-Ruth*