[WSBAPT] contingency fee on probate

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Wed Sep 12 10:01:14 PDT 2018

Yes it's generally allowed. The only type of cases I'm aware of where contingency is strictly prohibited are in divorce and criminal defense; see RPC 1.5<http://www.courts.wa.gov/court_rules/?fa=court_rules.display&group=ga&set=RPC&ruleid=garpc1.05>(c) and (d). Contingent fees are of course subject to the same rules governing reasonableness of the fee, RPC 1.5(a), and rules governing entering into business with a client or advancing or guaranteeing some types of financial assistance to a client, RPC 1.8<http://www.courts.wa.gov/court_rules/?fa=court_rules.display&group=ga&set=RPC&ruleid=garpc1.08>.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC