[WSBAPT] Non-US citizen/Non-US resident guardian and Family Trust questions

Sarah Jael Dion sarah at dionlaw.com
Thu Oct 11 12:18:38 PDT 2018

Hi all-

Clients are both US Citizens, but one is also a citizen of Taiwan, where she was born and raised. Her family all still resides in Taiwan, and they go back and forth frequently.

They want to name a relative in Taiwan as guardian for the kids. They would also like to have the guardian act as trustee for the family trust for the benefit of the children.

I know that while not specifically prohibited, having a foreign national act as trustee could add complexity. Getting the money out of the US also seems potentially problematic.

What are the options in a situation such as this? Could we leave the trust situs in WA and have a professional trustee administer? Or should we aim to move the trust to Taiwan?

I’d welcome any thoughts! Thanks in advance!

Sarah Jael Dion

Dion Law PLLC
206-550-4005
sarah at dionlaw.com
www.dionlaw.com

This message is private or privileged. If you are not the person for whom this message is intended, please notify me immediately and delete the message. Please do not copy or send this message to anyone else.