[WSBAPT] Transfer of Real Property without Probate?

Sara M sara.l.mcculloch at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 18:47:11 PST 2018

I am doing some estate planning for a Client in his 70s.  His wife passed
away 4 years ago.  No probate was done.  Wife died suddently with no
extended illness or medicaid.  The house is owned outright, worth around
$250,000, still in both names.  Everything else went to the husband via
beneficiary designation or joint tenancy.  There is assets over $500,000
ininvestments, so doesn't appear to be creditors.  Wife's will gives all to
Husband.

They have one child.  Client wants to give all to his daughter.  I think it
makes sense to do a transfer on death deed on Client's house and avoid
probate upon his death.  All other assets are joint with his daughter or
she is the beneficiary.

I think we need to probate deceased wife's estate to properly remove her
from the title and then have Client record the transfer on death deed.

Or is there a non-probate avenue I should consider?

Thank you,

Sara McCulloch