[WSBAPT] Two-fer Question - Parceling Property through Probate; and Run Away Ex

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Tue Dec 11 13:09:40 PST 2018

  Brent,

Ordinarily, if a person refuses to sign a quitclaim deed, a motion can
be brought requesting the appointment of a special master to sign the
quit claim deed on behalf of the other party. You may request an award
of legal fees on the basis of intransigence.

Before bringing a motion, it’s important that there be evidence of
efforts to secure the other sides cooperation. You should prepare the
quit claim deed, send it to him (or their lawyer). Assuming the other
side isn’t traveling in some remote place or for some reason unable to
respond within a certain reasonable time, ask them to return it within
a certain reasonable set time period. If the party doesn’t return the
signed quit claim deed, write again. Ask them again to provide the
quitclaim deed by a certain date, and let them know that you will file
a motion for the appointment of a special master and that you will ask
that a judgment be awarded for the cost of the special master, and
that an award of your legal fees and costs be entered as well.
Usually, the other side will execute the quit claim deed.

If the other side still doesn’t execute the quitclaim deed, proceed
with your motion. In your motion, you should propose the special
master to be appointed and advise the court of the proposed cost,
etc.  It's a pretty straightforward motion.

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000
Seattle, Washington 98101
206-224-8288
www.seattle-silvalaw.com

Quoting "Stanton M. Cole" <colestantonm at comcast.net>:

> Hi, Brent,
>   I am an attorney in Seattle Washington,practicing for over 40
> years, and  I’ve had considerable experience in dealing with the
> issues that you have stated in your email.
>
> Please have the prospective client call me at his/her previous
> earliest opportunity, and I would be glad to provide consulting
> services at no cost to determine is handling her case as a probate
> attorney would work out for her.
>
> Very truly yours,
>
>    Stanton M. Cole, Attorney
> 206-473-2928
> colestantonm at comcast.net
>
>        Sent from my iPhone
>

> On Dec 10, 2018, at 6:39 PM, Brent Williams-Ruth
> <brent at bwrconsults.com> wrote:
>

>> Question #1 - Potential probate client has a property that is owned
>> by three family members, she would like to have her 30% (which is
>> agreed to, there is no dispute there) of the parcel created as it's
>> own legal parcel. Have never done this before and would love to
>> talk with someone who has that experience.
>>
>>       Question 2# - personal friend went through separation.
>> Husband has left town having done everything EXCEPT sign the quit
>> claim deed to take name off the property.  I DO NOT do family law,
>> but was curious if anyone knows of a simple process on how to go
>> about removing said Ex-Husband when he has refused to return the
>> signed QCD.
>>
>>       Thank you!
>>       Brent
>>
>> --