[WSBAPT] Probate here re: testate estae of Ex-Pat in Germany

Marilyn J Kliman Law marilyn at marilynjklimanlaw.com
Wed May 31 11:19:03 PDT 2017

Doug -

A 15% inheritance tax applies if the estate is probated in Pennsylvania.
Decedent had no ties to PA for 20+ years. Investments and such, even the
pension, are not really tied to Decedent's residence, methinks. I can't see
that PA has any claim to venue for intangible accounts.

The beneficiary of the real property in Germany was appointed PR there. I'm
thinking I could at least attempt getting a judge or commissioner to admit
the Will for an ancillary probate, based upon the residence of the sole
beneficiary.  I believe there is a basis for WA to have jurisdiction since
the Will was first admitted to probate in Germany.

RCW 11.20.090

Admission to probate of foreign will.

Wills probated in any other state or territory of the United States, or in
any foreign country or state, shall be admitted to probate in this state on
the production of a copy of such will and of the original record of probate
thereof, certified by the attestation of the clerk of the court in which
such probation was made; or if there be no clerk, certification by the
attestation of the judge thereof, and by the seal of such officers, if they
have a seal.

Thoughts?

Marilyn J.Kliman

Marilyn J. Kliman Law, PLLC