[WSBAPT] Interesting fact pattern - where to start?

Christopher Small chris at cmslawfirm.com
Wed May 31 16:00:05 PDT 2017

Have an interesting one and would love some thoughts on where to start.

Call from a potential client (PC) who's estranged from parent for a couple
of years after they began suffering serious dementia.

Before dementia PC was power of attorney and the person parent trusted with
estate planning issues.

After dementia (and this isn't critical to my question for now) that
changed.

Parent now passed away. Child believes a will exists and several financial
accounts with beneficiary designations BUT has no way to figure that out.

Child does know attorney who drew up original docs but is not having a lot
of luck getting access to anything (or even figuring out if there is
anything to get access to).

My question to you all is, where would you begin?

*And I must admit, even if I don't end up retaining this client, I am very
interested in hearing what you all have to say!*

Cheers,

Christopher Small
CMS Law Firm LLC <http://cmslawfirm.com>
150 Lake St. S., Suite 218