[WSBAPT] Probate here re: testate estae of Ex-Pat in Germany

Douglas Bratt djbratt at mbavancouverlaw.com
Wed May 31 10:48:24 PDT 2017

Marilyn:

Despite your client's wishes to make things easy on herself by filing in this state (and being able to maintain your able and worthy assistance), would not the client be better served by referring this on to a Pennsylvania attorney for any probate-type case to be filed there?

An important detail - how does the Washington court have the jurisdiction to say anything that would mean anything to a Pennsylvania bank about granting access to a safe deposit box in that state, or to grant your PR client the right to access funds in a Pennsylvania bank account?  (An exception MIGHT be if the bank account was with a national bank with branches in this state, insofar as accessing the bank account proceeds to put into an estate account.)  It also occurs to me that the PA State College system might well react far differently to inquiries from Pennsylvania counsel than from Washington counsel, although it is likely that the retirement benefits might be accessible as a non-probate asset, if there is a beneficiary designation naming your client.  But, it is simply to recover funds in that system in the name of the decedent, I, again think that Pennsylvania courts would have the jurisdiction that Washington courts would not have.

I am  not sure that you can assist this person insofar as completing the process of settling the affairs of a Decedent with no ties to Washington.

Just my three cents worth (up from two cents due to inflation).

Best Regards,

Doug Bratt