[WSBAPT] Lender not accepting Lack of Probate Aff

John McCrady j.mccrady at pstitle.com
Thu Jul 20 10:40:29 PDT 2017

I am not sure that most title companies “like” the lack of probate affidavit.  We do “accept” the lack of probate affidavit; probably because:

1)      Many people don’t have the money, or want to spend the money, to go through a probate proceeding, and/or

2)      If I don’t agree to insure through the lack of probate affidavit “Brand X Title Company” will.

We do believe that our risk of loss on these is low since we try to wring out the facts pretty well before we insure.  I do however advise the customers that they are probably better served by the probate procedure, for the reasons you set out below.

You summed it up nicely:  “The best practice is the PR Deed.”

John McCrady
Puget Sound Title Company
5350 Orchard Street West
University Place WA 98467