[WSBAPT] Question related to intestate administration / individual who owned a business

Mark Vohr mcv at ohanafc.com
Thu Jan 12 14:47:30 PST 2017

Sarah:

	We run into similar situations.  I would start with RCW 11.48.025.  If you have non-intervention powers, this provision may not apply, but it is good to know that it is there.

	The PR steps into the shoes of the decedent.  You are the PR's attorney.  You can provide legal advice to the PR within your scope of expertise.  If you are competent to provide legal advice on the dissolving a Delaware corporation (or willing to learn on your own time) - that’s the ethical part, then you can assist.  If not, then the estate should hire counsel who is competent to do so.

	The business is an asset and get treated as any other asset.  It has to be protected and preserved for distribution.  Ultimately, either you liquidate and distribute the proceeds or you transfer to the business to the beneficiaries and they do what they want with it.  I would certainly check with the beneficiaries and see what they want.  In any event, RCW 11.48.025 gives the PR the authority to do what is needed to preserve the asset until the PR decides what to do with it.

	Hope that helps.

Mark

Ohana Fiduciary Corp.
Ohana Financial Services