[WSBAPT] Question related to intestate administration / individual who owned a business

Sarah Jael Dion sarah at dionlaw.com
Thu Jan 12 13:46:19 PST 2017

Hi list mates-

I have a client who is about to be appointed Administrator of the estate of her husband, who was killed while abroad late last year. The decedent owned (by himself) a company he incorporated in Delaware. The decedent ran a local franchise business in the name of his company. The surviving spouse and her family do not want to continue operation of this company (not sure if it is an LLC or corp yet). The numbers in this case aren’t huge- no massive assets or debt on the part of the decedent individually or on the part of the business. The surviving spouse is of course hoping to have all this handled as efficiently as possible.

How do I proceed here? Does the Delaware business need its own attorney to handle the shut-down, or is this something I am ethically able to assist with? Decedent had no will and no succession plan for the business. I’m a little lost as to the proper manner of shutting down the business in these circumstances.

Can anyone offer advice? Thanks in advance!

Sarah Jael Dion

Dion Law PLLC
206-550-4005
sarah at dionlaw.com
dionlaw.com

This message is private or privileged. If you are not the person for whom this message is intended, please notify me immediately and delete the message. Please do not copy or send this message to anyone else.