[WSBAPT] Creditor's Claim Against an Estate Passing Through a Revocable Living Trust

Setareh Mahmoodi mahmoodi.setareh at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 16:42:13 PST 2017

I, too, am representing a creditor with a claim against the estate in a
somewhat similar situation. In the beginning, a probate was not opened, and
there were rumors of a trust. So we had planned on opening a probate as a
creditor to resolve the issue. All my research pointed to that being the
best method. Suing the trust seemed to be more work and more problematic,
but then the decedent's heirs opened a probate themselves admitting the
pour over will and publishing notice, so made my life easier, since now I
can just present the claim in the probate.

I think opening the probate as a creditor might be a good option especially
if you can't find information on the trust/trustee. Please do share what
you end up finding out and the course of action you take for future
reference.

Setareh

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 2:18 PM, Marcus Fry <mfry at lyon-law.com> wrote:

> One of two options: Move to open up a probate as a creditor.  Or sue the
> trust.  The trust is a separate entity and unless the nonprobate claim
> procedure is followed, there should be no bar to suit.  I would be
> interested in anyone who has actual experience with this because I have a
> case that just walked in the door similar to the one below on my side of
> the mountain.
>

> Marcus J. Fry
>
> Lyon, Weigand & Gustafson, P.S.
>
> Yakima, WA.
>
> *Confidentiality: *This e-mail transmission may contain information which
> is protected by attorney-client, work product and/or other privileges.  If
> you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
> disclosure, or taking of any action in reliance on the contents, is
> strictly prohibited.  If you have received this transmission in error,
> please contact us immediately and return the e-mail to us by choosing Reply
> (or the corresponding function on your e-mail system) and then deleting the
> e-mail.

Please always call 206-683-1006 or email before dropping by the office as I
could be in court or meetings. Thanks!

*Best regards, *

*Setareh Mahmoodi *

*Attorney at Law *

*18222 104th Ave NE, Suite 103*

*Bothell, WA 98011*

*Phone: 425-806-1500*

*Cell: 206-683-1006*

*Fax: 425-489-4142 (Please email documents if at all possible) *

*Website: **http://www.lawofficesofsm.com/ <http://www.lawofficesofsm.com/>*

*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:* This email message and any attachments is a
transmission from the law firm and is intended for the recipient only.  It
may contain information that is confidential and legally protected by the
attorney-client, work product and/or other privileges.  If you are not the
designated or intended recipient, please destroy the message without
disclosing any of its contents and notify us immediately by reply email or
by calling (425) 806-1500.

Pursuant to U.S. Treasury Department Regulations, we are now required to
advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax
advice contained in this communication, including attachments and
enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for
the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal
Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party
any tax-related matters addressed herein.