[WSBAPT] Crummey Trust conversion to SNT?

Jacob Menashe jacob at hickmanmenashe.com
Wed Oct 19 20:28:12 PDT 2016

Hi Wendy,

One threshold question might be whether the trust’s terms may be discretionary enough that it can serve as a special needs trust without explicit special needs trust language. Of course if the trust terminates at 25 and the child is 24, then discretionary distribution terms and a spend-thrift clause won’t help much.

But as to your question, I think your mentioning a “payback” clause is likely apt – as SSI or Medicaid will likely view this as a first party trust, which requires Medicaid payback and that it be “established” by a parent, grandparent, guardian or the court. On the other hand, there is a case, Riddell, 138 Wn. App. 485, where equitable deviation was used to revise trust terms. And, at least in the court’s view, without making the trust a first party trust.

Best,

Jacob

Jacob H. Menashe
Hickman Menashe, PS