[WSBAPT] Role Confusion

Jim Doran jim at doranlegal.com
Mon Oct 19 12:29:08 PDT 2015

Listies:

I represent the Personal Representative in a standard probate with real
property.  The personal representative was appointed but over the past two
years has refused to marshall the assets and do what he is supposed to do.
The property nearly went through a tax foreclosure and one of the other
heirs saved it.

I have pushed and prompted the PR do get with the program but he has no
intention of doing his job because he is living rent free in the decedent's
home, his mother's home.  Now the sister has hired an attorney to have the
PR replaced unless he gets his job done.  The present PR is upset and wants
to fire me.  Of course, the estate owes me a few thousand dollars that the
current PR refuses to pay because I do not have a magic bullet for him.

What is a lawyer to do in this situation.  I represent the PR not the man
personally.  Do I have to withdraw?

As for the unpaid fees, there must be some sort of billing pleading or lien
that I can file to protect my own interest in getting paid.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

James R. Doran
Attorney at Law
100 E. Pine Street -  Suite 205