[WSBAPT] Role Confusion

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Mon Oct 19 14:18:34 PDT 2015

Re duty of PR to pay rent when living on Estate property, see In re Estate of Jones, 152 Wn.2d 1, 14-15, 93 P.3d 147 (2004).

A misbehaving PR has come up a couple times in the past half-dozen years for me--I'd suggest reviewing the RPCs on lawyer duties when representing a court-appointed fiduciary...there are circumstances where one is essentially required to tell the court of a client's malfeasance. Mainly see interaction of RPC 1.6(b)(7) and RPC 3.3, especially 3.3(f). Because RPC 3.3 is a "shall disclose" requirement "unless prohibited by 1.6", and RPC 1.6(b)(7) specifically permits the attorney to disclose, then I would interpret RPC 3.3 as requiring disclosure of any PR malfeasance that causes any past representation made to the court to be false.

Of course, the PR's still my client, so I would not jump to tell the court anything until I've failed to get the PR to cooperate, after multiple attempts to convince the PR to meet their duty, warning them of my own duty to disclose, maybe trying to take practical steps to make it more difficult for PR to succumb to temptation, and trying to help the PR remedy any breach that has already occurred, etc.

That may not be directly applicable to your situation, if perhaps the representations to the court so far have been minimal or not relevant.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC