[WSBAPT] Trusts to Protect Assets from Medicaid

Jim Doran jim at doranlegal.com
Tue Nov 17 11:43:18 PST 2015

I think the idea is to not put income producing assets into the trust.
However, if there are three pieces of real estate with homes, they would
probably want to lease them out for income.  However, lets assume that this
is not an issue or we can deal with that.

The idea is to protect the real estate from any Medicaid lien by putting
the real estate into the irrevocable trust.

The assets that are not put into the trust will have to be dealt with inter
vivos or by a Will for each, H & W.  It may be that the assets kept out of
the trust by H & W will prevent them from qualifying for Medicaid.  But
that is an issue for their ongoing financial management.

I am interested in the "life estate problem" and what the solution to that
might be; a tenancy of some sort granted by the Trustee???

Thank you.

Jim

James R. Doran
Attorney at Law