[WSBAPT] Trusts to Protect Assets from Medicaid

John Creahan john at cairn-law.com
Tue Nov 17 10:50:03 PST 2015

Jim,
Before you start implementing your clients’ plan, I suggest you have a long conversation with them about what they really want. We all have different interpretations about the meaning of “significant assets,” but given your brief description, it seems very unlikely that they would ever need Medicaid.
Even if they succeeded in giving all their assets away, what would they gain? If they needed long-term care, which they might not, the government would provide some financial support that would allow them to live in a very basic facility.
If they compared private pay facilities to their Medicaid counterparts, they might reconsider their choices. If they are worried about spending down all their wealth on long-term care, they might want to look into purchasing long-term care insurance.
Hope this helps,
John

John Creahan
206-621-5848