[WSBAPT] trust amendment

Thomas M. Culbertson tculbertson at lukins.com
Fri Jul 31 09:21:16 PDT 2015

I’ve been scratching my head over the same issue.  I looked at the case law dealing with wills, and found a dubious distinction between revocation (which can be done in almost any manner) and a bequest (which must be done with the formalities of a will), which becomes an almost unworkable doctrine as soon as you recognize that the revocation of someone’s bequest necessarily increases someone else’s (cf Malloy, 134 Wa2nd 316 (1998).  But now I’m thinking that between  RCW 11.103.030(3)(a) and language in the trust almost identical to that which Marilyn is dealing with, I’m probably barking up the wrong tree entirely. Anyone think that case law has any relevance at all to a RLT?

So to Sam’s analysis, I don’t think RLT-as-a-will-substitute gets us very far at all.  On the other hand I think his analysis of the statutes and trust language is right on and that alterations on the face of the trust document are enforceable, at least to the extent there is no dispute that the alterations were made by the trustor.

THOMAS M. CULBERTSON  I  Lukins & Annis, PS
717 W. Sprague Ave, Suite 1600, Spokane, WA 99201
(509) 455-9555  I  fax (509) 363-2500  I  tculbertson at lukins.com<mailto:tculbertson at lukins.com>