[WSBAPT] Deceased mother's name on deed/title to house and sons?

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Wed Aug 19 10:26:14 PDT 2015

Since there is no surviving spouse, I think there needs to be a court determination of who gets the house. Since there is a Will, probably could do it as an adjudication of testacy under RCW 11.28.330-.340.
http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=11.28&full=true#11.28.330

But given the recent and ongoing problems with Dept of Revenue concerning inheritance exemption from RE Excise Tax these days, it might still be better to do the probate and issue a deed to transfer to the beneficiaries. I don't know how DOR reacts to adjudication of testacy--if they accept that as valid transfer of inheritance interest in real property without need for a deed and REET Affidavit showing the exemption. If DOR is still insistent on a deed transferring from decedent to heirs, the client might have a problem with title if/when they sell, unless they do a probate.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC