[WSBAPT] Title question

Sam Furgason sam at furgasons.com
Wed Apr 29 15:38:28 PDT 2015

Lisa, I believe it to be four joint tenants.

“Unity of interest <http://thelawdictionary.org/unity-of-interest/> , possession <http://thelawdictionary.org/possession/> , time, title. Joint-tenancy agreement's legal requirements <http://thelawdictionary.org/requirements/> . (1) Unity of interest is the requirement that in duration, extent, and nature, all joint-tenants must have the same interest . (2) Unity of possession <http://thelawdictionary.org/unity-of-possession/>  is the requirement that no joint-tenant shall have exclusive possession of the whole property; that each joint-tenant simultaneously with other joint-tenants must have undivided share of the property. (3) Unity of time is the requirement that at the same time and for the same period, all joint-tenants must vest. (4) Unity of title is the requirement that in this single instrument <http://thelawdictionary.org/instrument/> , all joint-tenants must have equal property title.”
Law Dictionary:  <http://thelawdictionary.org/four-unities/#ixzz3YjpotX52> What is FOUR UNITIES? definition of FOUR UNITIES (Black's Law Dictionary)

Irrespective of whether one could argue for the treatment of a marital community as a single entity for JTWROS purposes (which I question), the deed does not specify the marital communities as grantees, but just the individuals, so there are four JTs.

I suggest the use of a trust, for the following reasons:

First, the common law concept of JTWROS requires that if one joint tenant dies, the remaining JTs hold equal interests. That means that upon the first death, the others hold 1/3 interests, so if the child dies, the parents and son-in-law hold the property as JTWROS, perhaps not the intended result if the son-in-law remarries.

Next, the joint ownership exposes the property to the others’ creditors. So if the son-in-law incurs debt in a bad business deal, the property is an asset which can be the subject of a forced sale. (This response infers from your post that the parents are the property owners or purchasers. If the purchase was a joint endeavor – as when parents help a child with a home purchase – it may be inapposite.)

Finally, contingency planning becomes available. By using a trust, for example, one can provide that the child’s interest in the property will pass to her children if she fails to survive the parents. Other issues can also be addressed, such as a continuing trust if the grandchildren are below a certain age. If bypassing probate is an objective, use of a trust would also do that.

Transferring the property into a trust would “break” the joint tenancy. You will need to give thought to the gift tax issues caused by creation of the JTWROS, and, since breaking the joint tenancy will re-adjust rights in the property, whether additional gift tax issues arise. Since creation of the JTWROS appears to have been an agreed upon transaction, and the parties all seem to have accepted the property as such, it is probably not possible to avoid gift issues with a disclaimer. There is also the title insurance issue, which would require either a new policy or possibly an endorsement.