[WSBAPT] UK Citizens w/ US Real Estate

John J. Sullivan sullaw at comcast.net
Tue Nov 11 17:47:59 PST 2014

I assumed they are nonresident aliens and the real estate is in WA, in which case the estate tax only applies roughly to their US source assets.

I would be careful about dropping the property into an LLC unless you're confident the gift will be completed before death. Generally LLC interests are personal property sourced to the domicile. You'd want to think through whether that increases any UK estate or death tax liability.

What is this property? Second residence? Rental? Commercial? Raw land? Perhaps there are other options for removing value from their gross estates.

John Sullivan

Sent from my iPhone