[WSBAPT] UK Citizens w/ US Real Estate

paige at buurstralaw.com paige at buurstralaw.com
Tue Nov 11 16:19:57 PST 2014

Where is the property located? If the property is located in a state
with a Transfer on Death Deed possibility then that seems like the best
option as daughter will not have any current ownership rights.

If not, the property has to be transferred according to the state laws
that the property is located in. I would guess that most states have a
statute like Washington's that says it will honor a validly executed
Will in the location it was executed: basically, the state is going to
have to interpret the validity and the terms of the Will as a UK court
would. That could get a little complicated, especially if it is at all
contested. They should probably contact an estate planning attorney in
the state where the property is located to see what options are
available in that state.

Another option would be to try and put the property into an LLC and then
make sure that "business" is property distributed under UK inheritance
laws.

These are just some of my end of the day thoughts. Take em or leave em

Paige Buurstra
Buurstra Law Firm PLLC
116 Ave A, Ste A
Snohomish, WA 98290