[Vision2020] 7-30-15, The Intercept: Former President Jimmy Carter: THE U.S. IS AN “OLIGARCHY WITH UNLIMITED POLITICAL BRIBERY”

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 19:24:18 PDT 2022

I was surprised to discover this statement by Carter, which should have
been far more publicised than it was in 2015!  This assessment certainly
applies to 2022...
---------------------------------------
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett
---------------------------------------
According to the former president, Americans are now experiencing “a
complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major
contributors.”
https://theintercept.com/2015/07/30/jimmy-carter-u-s-oligarchy-unlimited-political-bribery/

Former president Jimmy Carter said Tuesday on the nationally syndicated
radio show the Thom Hartmann Program <http://www.thomhartmann.com/> that
the United States is now an “oligarchy” in which “unlimited political
bribery” has created “a complete subversion of our political system as a
payoff to major contributors.” Both Democrats and Republicans, Carter said,
“look upon this unlimited money as a great benefit to themselves.”

Carter was responding to a question from Hartmann about recent Supreme
Court decisions on campaign financing like *Citizens United*.

Transcript:

HARTMANN: Our Supreme Court has now said, “unlimited money in politics.” It
seems like a violation of principles of democracy. … Your thoughts on that?

CARTER: It violates the essence of what made America a great country in its
political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political
bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to
elect the president. And the same thing applies to governors and U.S.
senators and congress members. So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion
of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and
expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over. …
The incumbents, Democrats and Republicans, look upon this unlimited money
as a great benefit to themselves. Somebody’s who’s already in Congress has
a lot more to sell to an avid contributor than somebody who’s just a
challenger.