[Vision2020] Spectrum Outage

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Sat Sep 23 09:58:55 PDT 2017

Betsy, we’ve been mostly pleased with Spectrum (formerly TWC) – our Internet service is usually rock solid with few outages over the years.  Our cable service has been more problematic;  we frequently – always have -- gotten “you do not subscribe to this channel” or “this channel will be available shortly” for specific channels.  Changing the channel up or down & then returning often resolves the issue, but that’s not particularly satisfactory.  We’ve had techs out several times over the years – some have said the head end equipment for that frequency (or whatever) gets out of adjustment while others have thought it was maybe the cabling within the house (they’ve changed most/all throughout the years & the problem persists) or the main run from the pole to the house . . . or maybe with a cable run further from our house.  Who knows?  That’s annoying, but we’ve learned to live with it, more or less.

If that happened with my Internet connection, I’d definitely be looking for an alternative.

LOL, Ted – the only way I’ve ever found the cause for the infrequent Spectrum internet outages is if it’s been reported in the news (like with the fiber optics cable was cut during construction around Rathdrum some years back, IIRC).  When one calls, if there’s a known outage in the area, you get a recording telling you they are aware of it, that they are working hard to restore service, and that their CSRs don’t have further info.  If you push through, you get a nice person who has no further info but offers an automated call to let you know when service is restored.  SMH – no, thanks . . . I can figure that out myself.

Someone wrote me privately to let me know their neighborhood hadn’t had an outage, which really piqued my curiosity as to the cause.  I tried contacting a live person through FB & Twitter (Spectrum was very active responding to questions about some outage in Brooklyn due to vandalism), but I had no better luck.

I dunno . . . maybe it’s just me, but when a service I pay for is interrupted, I don’t think requesting for an explanation is unreasonable.

Saundra Lund

Moscow, ID

Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar.

~ Bradley Miller