[Vision2020] Third Street bridge

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Mon Sep 18 00:52:50 PDT 2017

Courtesy of today's (September 18, 2017) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with thanks to Dody Dozier.

---------------------------------

Letter: Third Street bridge

Oh Moscow, here we are again. The issue is - and has been since 2005 - whether or not to open Third Street to car/truck traffic from Mountain View Road. I thought it was agreed long ago that a bridge for pedestrians and bicyclists was preferable, but now the Moscow City Council wants to proceed with a motor bridge.

Really? OK, let's say that cars and trucks can get onto Third at Mountain View, heading for downtown. They will almost immediately enter a two-block 15 mph school zone. Will they be stopped at Blaine, 100 feet from Lena Whitmore Elementary School? Two-way or four-way stop? Caution light? Or will Blaine be stopped for Third to pass through? How about at Hayes, where parents with strollers, dog walkers and kids of all ages cross to East City Park? Will that corner be a stop for Third Street traffic or for Hayes, or both?

After Hayes come marked pedestrian crossings to the park at Lincoln and again at Monroe. A few blocks later it's the high school, the 1912 building with senior lunches and all kinds of other activities, and City Hall in the old Post Office building.

This is nuts. Add that Third is our most walkable eastbound street, as anyone who has tried to "stroll" up Sixth Street knows. It has the premiere destination of beautiful, 113-year-old East City Park, which is as much a community gathering place as downtown.

City council has categorized Third Street as a "minor arterial." I would say a blocked artery is more likely. Third Street is for people, not traffic flow.

Dody Dozier
Moscow

Third Street Bridge Rally (July 17, 2016)
http://www.moscowcares.com/Our_Moscow/Third_Street_Bridge/Rally

Resolution 2007-30
http://www.moscowcares.com/Our_Moscow/Third_Street_Bridge/Resolution_2007_30_Third_Street_Bridge.pdf

http://www.MoscowCares.com