[Vision2020] Fw:[Spam 6.60] Five good reasons to eat beans

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Mon Nov 14 16:48:25 PST 2016

-----Original Message-----
Subject: [Spam 6.60] Five good reasons to eat beans
From: "Nutrition Action" <nutritionaction at nutritionaction.com>
To: LFALEN at TURBONET.COM
Date: 11/14/16 13:32:50

NutritionAction.com » Daily

 Having trouble viewing this email? Click here to see it on the web with links, graphics and references.

FOLLOW US

 Monday, November 14, 2016
Nutrition Action Daily Tip

Can you name the diseases they help prevent?Author: David Schardt  in: What to Eat

 Why the fuss over beans? And by beans, we also mean peas, lentils, and other legumes. We can think of five "beanefits" to start with.
1. They're packed with fiber, potassium, magnesium, folate, and iron. These are nutrients a lot of people don't get enough of.
2. Cholesterol. Beans lower LDL ("bad") cholesterol, probably because they're rich in the gummy, soluble type of fiber that does that.
3. Blood pressure. Beans help lower blood pressure, possibly because they're a decent source of potassium. Bonus: their magnesium may help prevent type 2 diabetes.
4. Regularity. Beans contain less water than fruits and vegetables, which makes them a more concentrated source of fiber. Expect 6 or 7 grams of fiber in half a cup of most beans. The same amount of most veggies or fruits has 1 to 3 grams. Don't worry that some brands of, say, black beans seem to have less fiber than others. The different numbers on the labels are largely due to different laboratory tests, not differences in the beans.
Keep reading to learn more>>

 Order a subscription to Nutrition Action Healthletter: A one-year subscription term is 10 issues, monthly except combined issues in January/February and July/August. And choose your delivery method - print version only; digital version only (delivered immediately upon order processing); or print plus the digital editions.

Nutrition Action names names. Our nutritionists and scientists tell you exactly what's wrong-and what's right-with hundreds of brand-name packaged foods, fresh foods, and restaurant fare. Nutrition Action is honest, unbiased, and science-based. It's completely independent and has no advertising. So we're free to blow the whistle on products that aren't what they pretend to be-and to applaud the good ones. Order Now! Not available in Canada at this time.

More Nutrition Action Healthy Tips you can read:

Are multivitamins a waste of money?
  "Stop wasting money on vitamin and mineral supplements," declared a leading medical journal. "Enough is enough."
he journal was reacting to two disappointing studies on multivitamins. In the first, doctors who were given a daily multivitamin (Centrum Silver) for  12 years did no better on memory tests than those who got a placebo. In the second, heart attack patients who got a multivitamin for one to five years were no less likely to have a second heart attack than those who got a placebo (though half the patients stopped taking the pills before the study ended).
It may be sensible for some people to not bother with multivitamins, especially if they're paying top dollar for overpriced pills. But it's not good advice for women who are or may become pregnant or for men or women whose diets run short on...
Keep reading to learn more >>

 Check out this special offer!

Veggie Nice Vegetarian RecipesTrying to eat more plant-based meals? Never know what to make for vegetarian dinner guests? Veggie Nice gives you more than a month's worth of meatless main dishes. Try the Yellow Split Pea & Spinach Stew. Or the Pepper, Onion, & Sweet Potato Frittata. All are from the kitchen of Kate Sherwood, our Healthy Cook. That means they're good for you… and their flavor will knock your socks off.
Order your copy today!

 Decision fatigue can lead to poor choices of what to buy and eat
"We think that our choices of what to buy and eat are thoughtful and deliberate, and that we know what we're doing," says Deborah Cohen, a physician and senior natural scientist at the RAND Corporation, a nonprofit research organization.
"We think that what we eat is under our control, but it isn't. Much of what we do is automatic and done without much thought."
When you talk to people about their goals, no one wants to overeat or get chronic diseases, Cohen notes.
"But it's just too difficult for most people to defend themselves against the ubiquitous cues that make us eat too much."
Some people can do it, she says, but most people are overwhelmed with too many responsibilities. "Most of us have a lot on our minds. It's too much effort to track everything. And it's a huge burden that people didn't have to face in the past."
Keep reading to learn more>>

 The Scoop on Sugar Substitutes

Sweet Nothings: Safe ... Or Scary? The Inside Scoop on Sugar SubstitutesIs aspartame the safest artificial sweetener? Or is it sucralose? Are sugar substitutes made from monk fruit safer because they are "natural"? Or are they all dangerous?
NutritionAction.com's Sweet Nothings: Safe … Or Scary? The Inside Scoop on Sugar Substitutes will tell you what's safe, unsafe, or inadequately tested.
We'd all like to satisfy our sweet tooth while avoiding sugar's known negative impacts on our waistlines, blood sugar levels, hearts, and teeth, just to name a few. Hence the United States' increased use of artificial and "natural" non-caloric sugar substitutes over the last decade, from over 6 million pounds in 2002 to over 8 million pounds in 2012. Worldwide, the market for artificial and other high-intensity sweeteners is expected to reach nearly $1.9 billion in 2017. For low-calorie sugar substitutes called sugar alcohols, the worldwide market already surpassed that, reaching $2 billion in 2012. FIND OUT MORE

Click for a free health-conscious download: What to Eat: 10 Best Foods.

 FOLLOW US
UNSUBSCRIBE     FORWARD TO A FRIEND
Help us be sure that this email newsletter gets to your inbox. Adding our return address customercare at NutritionAction.com to your address book may ‘whitelist’ us with your filter, helping future email newsletters get to your inbox.
Need to contact us? Contact us by email: customercare at NutritionAction.com or phone: 202-777-8393
NutritionAction.com
1220 L Street, N.W., Suite 300
Washington, D.C. 20005
We value your privacy and will not rent your email address to anyone. View our privacy policy.
Copyright © 2015 NutritionAction.com. All rights reserved.