[Vision2020] Hillary Won by 2 Million Votes! More than Gore, Nixon, Kennedy

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 16:45:22 PST 2016

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 1:30 PM, Scott Dredge <scooterd408 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

This is exactly why the brilliant framers came up with the Electoral
> College as a check / balance of not allowing Congress to select a president
> (except in an Electoral College tie) and not allowing a president to be
> elected solely by popular vote which can be heavily skewed by the more
> populous states.  Hillary and company were well aware of how the system
> elects a president and yet they still shockingly blew Wisconsin, Michigan,
> and Pennsylvania to a hack like Trump who didn't even have the support of
> his own party.
>
> -Scott

"... not allowing a president to be elected solely by popular vote which
can be heavily skewed by the more populous states."

By this logic, perhaps we should elect Idaho's governor in a manner that
prevents Ada county from a "heavily skewed" impact.  I've never heard any
complaints that Idaho's governor is elected based on a popular vote, one
vote one person, regardless of whether they are from a heavily populated
county, like Ada, or a much smaller populated county like Latah.

Perhaps you are just stirring the pot here, because it seems incredible to
defend a system that would allow a president to be chosen based on winning
21.8% of the vote, and grants votes in some states far more weight than in
other states, unless not fully supporting democratic one person one vote
principles.

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett
Text below from article at website below:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tyler-lewis/why-we-should-abolish-the_1_b_8961256.html
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/author/tyler-lewis> Tyler Lewis

*3) A Person Can Become President By Winning Only 21.8% of the Popular Vote*

As previously stated, the Electoral College is a winner take all system. If
a candidate wins the popular vote of a state by a just a single vote, he
generally receives all the electoral votes of that state (excluding Maine
and Nebraska). Combine this with the fact that smaller states receive more
electoral votes per person than larger states, and it becomes possible to
win the presidency by winning just 21.8% of the American public’s vote.

According to a study
<https://www.squarefree.com/2004/11/01/winning-an-election-with-22-of-the-popular-vote/>
done by Jesse Ruderman, “A presidential candidate could be elected with as
a little as 21.8% of the popular vote by getting just over 50% of the votes
in DC and each of 39 small states. This is true even when everyone votes
and there are only two candidates. In other words, a candidate could lose
with 78.2% of the popular vote by getting just under 50% in small states
and 100% in large states.”
Each person's vote should be weighted the same, unless you object somehow
to fair representative democracy.  The electoral college sometimes dilutes
the votes of US citizens when we get an outcome like Bush v. Gore 2000, or
Trump v. Hillary 2016, as this excerpt from the article further explains:
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/author/tyler-lewis>

As fairvote.org explains, “For instance, each individual vote in Wyoming
counts nearly four times as much in the Electoral College as each
individual vote in Texas. This is because Wyoming has three (3) electoral
votes for a population of 532,668 citizens (as of 2008 Census Bureau
estimates) and Texas has thirty-two (32) electoral votes for a population
of almost 25 million. By dividing the population by electoral votes, we can
see that Wyoming has one “elector” for every 177,556 people and Texas has
one “elector” for about every 715,499.”

By giving smaller states more electoral votes per person than larger
states, disparity was created across the nation in regards to the
significance of each citizens’ vote. With the Electoral College, the value
of a vote depends on what state a person lives in.