[Vision2020] The Most Stressed-Out City in Every State

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Fri Jan 22 07:26:42 PST 2016

The Most Stressed Out City in Every State

By Thomas C. Frohlich    January 21, 2016 5:22 pm EST

*http://tinyurl.com/jjmswja*

Money is the single largest cause of stress in the United States, the
richest country in the world. And while the economy is still recovering
from the Great Recession, with aggregate income on the rise, many
Americans face increasing debt burdens, stagnant wages, and rising
poverty levels.

According to the American Psychological Association (APA), stress levels
of Americans are trending downward. However, just as income gaps have
been growing, so has the gap between people who seem to manage stress
well and those who do not.

In its latest annual review of stress in America, the APA identifies
money and work as the two largest sources of stress of Americans,
followed by the economy, family responsibilities, and personal health
concerns. 24/7 Wall St. reviewed a range of data in these categories in
order to measure the likelihood of living in stress in each state’s
urban areas.

*Click here to see the most stressed out city in every state.
<http://247wallst.com/special-report/2016/01/21/the-most-stressed-out-city-in-every-state/2/>*

The variation in stress levels do not vary much across the U.S.
According to Lynn Bufka, psychologist at the APA, this could be due to
the relatively high level and overall prevalence of stress. “People are
going to experience stress no matter what,” she said

The underlying causes of stress do vary considerably between regions,
however. The lack of variation of reported stress levels across the
nation could therefore be due to the variety of coping strategies for
dealing with stress, as well as the differences in how stress affects
different demographics. Bufka added that for many people, a certain
level of stress can actually be necessary to follow through on stated
intentions and accomplish work.

Yet, there are healthy and unhealthy ways to manage stress. The APA has
found that poor individuals are more likely to engage in unhealthy
behaviors to manage their stress. Nearly three-quarters of Americans
surveyed report feeling stressed about money at least sometimes, and
nearly one-quarter report money concerns as causing stress on a regular
basis.

Metropolitan areas are often some of the most expensive places to live
in a state, and the most stressed areas tend to be less affordable. The
affordability ratio calculates how much homeowners spend on their homes
as a share of their total income — the higher the ratio, the less
affordable the area. In all but four metro areas on this list, the
affordability ratio is higher than the statewide ratio. Also, poverty in
these areas is higher than it is in urban areas nationwide.

Americans tend to work longer hours than residents of other countries
and the United States is the only developed country where paid time off
is not guaranteed. Perhaps it is no surprise that work is the next most
common source of stress after finances. Bufka explained that “cognitive
ability to process new and challenging situations and analyze them
realistically” are closely tied with stress levels. The resources and
time available to accomplish something within a work group also dictate
stress levels, Bufka added.

The typical American works approximately 35 hours per week. In the most
stressed out cities in 34 states, the average weekly hours spent at work
exceeds this amount.

High stress levels have tangible health consequences. First, unhealthy
reactions to stress such as overeating can result in higher obesity
rates, and in turn, worse health outcomes. In 29 of the 50 stressed out
cities on this list, obesity rates are higher than the respective state
figures.

A growing body of research is also connecting stress directly with
premature death, depression, and lower productivity in the workplace.
“Feeling stressed and overwhelmed diminishes our mental resources,
diminishes our capacity to be flexible mentally, diminishes our ability
to sort of generate new ideas, all of which we might need to think about
how to manage our sources of stress,” Bufka said.

To identify the most stressed city in every state, 24/7 Wall St. created
an index of data measuring the two most common sources of stress — money
and work — in each state’s metropolitan areas. To capture money-related
stress inputs we reviewed poverty rates, housing affordability, and food
insecurity. For work-related stress inputs we included average weekly
work hours, average daily commute times in hours, and annual
unemployment rates. With the exception of food insecurity and
unemployment rates, which came from the United States Department of
Agriculture (USDA) and the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS),
respectively, all data used in the index came from the U.S. Census
Bureau’s 2014 American Community Survey (ACS). The incidence of violent
crime in each area comes from the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s 2014
Uniform Crime Report. All data are for the most recent periods
available. While the potential consequences of stress were not
considered in our index, they were reviewed in each state’s MSAs.

These are each state’s most stressed-out city.

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

*12. Idaho
 > Most stressed city:* Coeur d’Alene
*> Total population:* 147,326
*> Poverty rate:* 12.0%
*> Avg. weekly hours worked:* 33.6
*> Unemployment rate:* 5.6%
*> Violent crime rate:* 276.1 per 100,000 people
*> Pct. of adults in fair/poor health:* 12.7%

Spokane, Washington

*47. Washington
 > Most stressed city:* Spokane-Spokane Valley
*> Total population:* 542,073
*> Poverty rate:* 16.9%
*> Avg. weekly hours worked:* 34.0
*> Unemployment rate:* 7.4%
*> Violent crime rate:* 318.6 per 100,000 people
*> Pct. of adults in fair/poor health:* 14.3%

Ken