[Vision2020] Unpleasant news

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Wed May 27 13:24:49 PDT 2015

On 5/27/2015 7:45 AM, Gary Crabtree wrote:

> Sad and unexpected news of Wayne's premature departure hit my door
> step this morning. I will greatly miss his periodic visits to the shop
> to discuss news of the day and matters of mutual interest. Rest well, pal.
>
> Wayne Martin Price, 62, of Moscow died Friday, May 22, 2015, at
> Hospice House in Coeur d'Alene.

<[snip]>

Perhaps it is a measure of devotion to the University that his passing
happened beyond the end of the regular academic year in the summer session.

There's an actuarial science research project: Do teachers and faculty
members die in patterns statistically distinct from other occupations?
Specifically, are their dates of death more often outside of the school
term than random chance would indicate?

Some U.S. Presidents -- Adams and Jefferson, both in 1826, and Monroe,
in 1831, and a near-president, William L. Marcy, in 1857, died on the
4th of July.  Other persons also died on July 4th, perhaps indicating
their devotion to the nation.  Charles Kuralt, in 1997, and Jesse Helms,
in 2008, come to mind.  Correlation or happenstance?

Ken