[Vision2020] Sangria Favored for Sixth & Jackson?

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Sat Feb 28 15:28:05 PST 2015

On 2/25/2015 1:42 PM, Saundra Lund wrote:
> I'm very intrigued by the whole micro-apartment aspect -- does anyone know
> what kind of micro-apartments these will be?  I know a little bit about
> micro-apartments in other (urban & European) areas, so I'm curious who the
> target renters will be?

I am not at all intrigued by any micro-apartment development in Moscow
simply because the urban density here does not call for any such extreme
level for people packing.  Sixth and Jackson, by any reasonable
forward-looking planning horizon, should be within the University of
Idaho's main campus area of impact.  What probably should be happening
there is that the University should be developing high-rise apartments
from that location south and west toward the campus.  A modest variety
of unit configurations could accommodate several hundred students and
their families -- not micro-housing or dormitories -- and thus provide a
reasonable expectation that affordable, convenient housing will be
available for the students the University wants to matriculate.

The University's half-century experiment in high-rise accommodations
known as Theophilus Tower would then better appear to be a good prospect
to be converted in to offices for faculty, adjuncts, and graduate
students in the venerable tradition of Chrisman Hall, which now contains
English and Mathematics faculty.

With all due respect to the entrepreneurial enthusiasms entertained by
the current applicants, this is simply not an appropriate use for this
location now, or in its reasonably expected future, given the major
investment this community already has in its main economic engine.
Combined with the already economically understandable, but nevertheless
obnoxious, local rental pricing strategies that assume short-term
student renters, and thus price by the bedroom, having a greater
quantity of University-connected housing would allow the remaining local
housing stock to better-serve other family-oriented occupancies -- and
perhaps at rental rates that are not some multiple of a mortgage payment.

If the University expects to grow, then it should be preparing for that
growth, and intelligently planned and conveniently located housing is
certainly a major part of that planning.  The University and the
community both should recognize that "micro-scale retail" in that
location is a sub-standard use of that property location, and both
parties should be more actively planning for the better, long-term use
that is expected.

Ken